We had a tasty version of taco soup during our snow weekend. It is so easy to make. In the past I have used a small can of chopped green chilies instead of bell peppers. I loved the substitution of the bell peppers! It was a way to add more veggies and more color to the soup. I served our soup with Fritos and a big green salad.
93% Lean Ground Turkey
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white shoepeg corn
2 cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 packet taco seasoning (I use reduced sodium)
1 packet ranch dressing mix
- Sautee onion, bell peppers, and garlic in olive oil until translucent (about 5 minutes), and add to crock-pot.
- Cook ground tukery, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks. Drain fat, and add to crock-pot.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix to crock pot; stirring everything together.
- Use the black bean can to add 2-3 cans full of water to crock-pot, until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Cook in the crock-pot as long as you like (the longer it all cooks together, the more flavorful it will be)