We had lots of fun with our friends Caleb and Maya for dinner this week. Sharing a meal with friends is one of our very favorite things to do. I made burrito bowls and we enjoyed them with salad, chips and guac, and beer.
The key to a good burrito bowl, in my opinion, is good chicken. I marinated my chicken in lime juice for about an hour and then rubbed it with spices before cooking. I had bowls with the toppings of: of sautéed peppers and onions, pico de gallo (that I bought from Lowe’s foods), black beans (see recipe below), and cheese. We put everything over Spanish rice. I think it was a hit!
Henry had green beans. Things got messy 🙂
Here are my recipes for the chicken and the black beans:
Burrito Bowl Chicken
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
1 Tbsp Cumin
Dash Crushed Red Pepper (or more if you want to add a bit more heat to the chicken)
- Marinate Chicken in limejuice for about an hour.
- Cut chicken into strips. You can use whole chicken breasts if you want to cook on the grill (this chicken is deeeelicious on the grill!)
- Combine spices and cover chicken.
- Sautee over medium heat in skillet until cooked (about 8-10 minutes).
Easy Black Beans
15 ounce can Black Beans (undrained)
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
Dash Crushed Red Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes (or until onion is cooked).
We are headed out of town today for a week of relaxing and together-ness at the beach. I can’t wait!
This guy will officially be 5 months this week! I can’t believe it!