We had lots of fun with our friends Caleb and Maya for dinner this week. Sharing a meal with friends is one of our very favorite things to do. I made burrito bowls and we enjoyed them with salad, chips and guac, and beer.
The key to a good burrito bowl, in my opinion, is good chicken. I marinated my chicken in lime juice for about an hour and then rubbed it with spices before cooking. I had bowls with the toppings of: of sautéed peppers and onions, pico de gallo (that I bought from Lowe’s foods), black beans (see recipe below), and cheese. We put everything over Spanish rice. I think it was a hit!
Henry had green beans. Things got messy 🙂
Here are my recipes for the chicken and the black beans:
Burrito Bowl Chicken
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
1 Tbsp Cumin
Dash Crushed Red Pepper (or more if you want to add a bit more heat to the chicken)
- Marinate Chicken in limejuice for about an hour.
- Cut chicken into strips. You can use whole chicken breasts if you want to cook on the grill (this chicken is deeeelicious on the grill!)
- Combine spices and cover chicken.
- Sautee over medium heat in skillet until cooked (about 8-10 minutes).
Easy Black Beans
15 ounce can Black Beans (undrained)
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
Dash Crushed Red Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes (or until onion is cooked).
We are headed out of town today for a week of relaxing and together-ness at the beach. I can’t wait!
This guy will officially be 5 months this week! I can’t believe it!
I made the most delicious apple cake for our trip to Boone last week! I got the recipe from my mom, who got it from a coworker. I LOVE this cake because it is moist, it is a bundt cake, and it is “healthy” because one of the ingredients is apples (you know what they say: “an apple (cake) a day…”). My biggest tip for anyone making this cake is to butter and flour the bundt pan really well…
It was all fun and games…
We were all upset, but only for a moment!
May not be magazine-cover perfect, but it still tasted delicious! We may or may not have even consumed it as both a dessert and a breakfast food. Vacation is the best!
Here is the recipe I used:
Ingredients for Cake:
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 ½ cups white sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
3 cups flour
2-½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 ½ cups (about 4-5 medium) apple peeled and chopped (very small pieces)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for Caramel Icing:
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
For the cake: preheat the oven to 325, then:
- Butter and flour your bundt pan (verrrry important!!!).
- Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cream oil, white sugar, brown sugar, and eggs together in a large bowl.
- Slowly add dry ingredients.
- Stir in chopped apples, walnuts, and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove from oven, let rest for about 10 minutes, loosen with a knife, and transfer cake from the pan to the baking rack.
For the Icing:
- Heat brown sugar, heavy cream, and butter in a small saucepan until bubbling.
- Allow to cool.
- Stir in powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
A couple of nights ago we had a delicious frittata for dinner. I love making frittatas for dinner because you can pack them full of yummy vegetables. They are quick and easy to make, and I personally think they are deeelicious. This one was particularly good, I’m attributing it to the sweet potatoes. We ate ours with a big salad. Such a great dinner!
Healthy Veggie Frittata
2 tsp olive oil
Brussels sprouts, halved
1 sweet potato chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 egg whites
1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350, then:
1. Heat oil and garlic in cast iron skillet.
2. Add sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts; sautée for 6-8 minutes
3. Add onions and bell peppers, sautée another 5 minutes.
4. While sautéeing vegetables beat eggs, egg whites, and milk together.
5. Add spinach to other vegetables.
6. Pour egg mixture over vegetables, cook in the skillet for 1-2 minutes.
7. Move skillet to preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes.